From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:41:05 -0500
Hi everyone,
I've been toying with an idea for a management scheme, but I feel like
there's a piece missing from the puzzle yet and I wanted to see if anyone
could help with ideas.

The scheme would begin in the spring as soon as I've got queen cells ready
(typically about five weeks before the main honey flow starts here) and
would apply to full strength colonies with swarm pressure mounting.  I'm
thinking of removing all the capped brood with a very minimal number of
bees and placing it above something like a modified double screen board.
Optionally, I could leave a trap frame of open drone brood in the parent
hive.  The parent hive could then be used to draw new comb, much as if it
had swarmed, except it would have at least a few frames of open brood,
honey, and pollen.  In theory, most of the varroa mites would be removed
with the capped brood and most of the remaining mites could be trapped in
a drone frame, reducing the mite load -- I would guess -- by a very high
percentage.

The capped brood, meanwhile, would hatch out above the double screen board
with the new queen.  Optionally, I could use a less than 14-day old queen
cell or maybe put the capped brood above a queen excluder for a few days
before replacing the queen excluder with a double screen board to ensure
that all of the transferred brood hatched out before the first of the new
queen's brood was old enough to get infested with varroa.  I could then
add a laid up trap frame of drone brood from the parent colony below that
could catch mites in the brood gap when all the mites would be phoretic
and there was no other brood to infest.

At the start of the honey flow I could either kill the old queen and
combine or set off the split or run a two-queen colony.

Besides the labor cost -- which in exchange for swarm control, new drawn
comb, natural varroa control, new queens, and optional prepared splits
seems reasonable, at least for my circumstances -- the one big problem I
can foresee is mites migrating through the double screen board back to the
parent colony.  I'd like to keep the colonies together, though, both for
easier subsequent combining and in order to be able to keep most of the
bees with the laying queen (while ensuring against the brood getting
chilled in the split).

I'm not very content with the only solution I've thought of, though, which
is to put a layer of fine mesh between the two layers of regular 8-mesh
hardware cloth.  The idea would be that the heat could still rise up
through the fine mesh, but the bees wouldn't be able to get at it to
propolize it.  Of course, the idea is that the mesh would be fine enough
that mites couldn't pass through.  Alternatively, maybe I could just
replace the upper layer of hardware cloth with a fine mesh, and maybe the
small number of bees above wouldn't propolize their floor until after the
brood had hatched.

What recommendations can you all make for optimizing/fine-tuning such a
scheme?  And do you think my goals could be achieved with the scheme?

Eric