Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:40:13 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
The c. 1832-42 cisterns at Fort Henry National Historic Site, Kingston, have large brick-arched, stone-walled filter chambers adjacent to the main tanks.  These were filled with gravel, sand and charcoal but do not appear to have functioned particularly well. 

Henry Cary
Parks Canada Archaeological Services, Ontario Service Centre
and Dept of War Studies, Royal Military College of Canada 

> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:27:49 -0400> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: filters inside of cisterns> To: [log in to unmask]> > Susan,> > I have been following this thread closely to see how it would unfold as I> had observed something similar in Newark, New Jersey. Hunter Research, Inc.> excavated a late 19th century brick cistern six feet in diameter and three> feet high. At the bottom of the cistern was a 0.1 foot high raised cement> pad measuring 1.1 feet wide by 2.0 feet long. I thought perhaps it> represented a pad for a pump to retrieve stored water. I can send you a> digital image if that helps.> > Bill Liebeknecht> Hunter Research, Inc.> > > -----Original Message-----> From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jay and> Beth Stottman> Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:50 AM> To: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: filters inside of cisterns> > Just as Bob stated, in the over dozen cisterns I have seen in the Louisville> > area, there has been no filtering device nor have I seen any mention of it > in the literature. I would think for a filter to be an important component > of a cistern, there would have to be an understanding of water borne > diseases or at least the sanitary perceptions to deal with them, which was > not the case in Louisville until 1914 when the city water works started a > filtration plant. This strategy did not become common to cisterns until the> > mid 20th century in the Louisville area.> > Jay> > M. Jay Stottman> Staff Archaeologist> Kentucky Archaeological Survey> ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Bob Genheimer" <[log in to unmask]>> To: <[log in to unmask]>> Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:51 PM> Subject: Re: filters inside of cisterns> > > > Susan> >> > I can give you negative evidence that I have not seen such a structure in > > a half-dozen 19th century urban cisterns excavated in the Cincinnati area.> > > The only filtering device I have seen is a series of more than a dozen > > holes drilled in the intake pipe near the base of one cistern.> >> > Bob Genheimer> > George Rieveschl Curator of Archaeology> > Cincinnati Museum Center> > 1301 Western Avenue> > Cincinnati, Ohio 45203> > 513-455-7161> > 513-455-7169 fax> >> > -----Original Message-----> > From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Susan> > Walter> > Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:46 AM> > To: [log in to unmask]> > Subject: filters inside of cisterns> >> >> > Hello all,> >> > Has anyone encountered red brick filters inside of water cisterns?> >> > In the cistern I have been studying, slightly off center on the floor is a> > > solid block of cemented bricks. It measures approximately 49" high, and 2> > > bricks wide, and 3 1/2 bricks long. One brick width protrudes down the > > sides of the construction. On the top is a place built up of 1 brick wide> > > into which the original ferrous pipe was inserted. There is no evidence > > of any opening anywhere.> >> > Thanks,> > S. Walter> >> >> > BODIES DOUBLE FEATURE> >> > BODIES...The Exhibition, the blockbuster people can't stop talking about. > > See it with the companion OMNIMAX film,> >> > THE HUMAN BODY. You only have one body. Start taking better care of it, > > beginning with a visit to Cincinnati Museum Center. 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2