HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Piddock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:25:29 +1030
Hi
Join us this year in Adelaide, South Australia, for the
AIMA/ASHA/AAMH annual archaeology conference, 24-28 September 2008.
We borrowed this year's conference theme from the 1960s movement
"History from Below." That movement saw historians shift their focus
from topics such as great men, big wars and political elites to
subjects that previously had been neglected like women, children,
urban and rural poor, immigrants and ethnic minorities. "History from
Below" was also about engaging public interest in local histories and
encouraging the public to take control of their own personal and
community histories.

We are currently accepting proposals for sessions for the 2008
"Archaeology from Below" conference. "Archaeology from Below" brings
to light our professional efforts in involving and working with the
public to understand their own archaeology and history. Sessions are
invited to address the relationship between archaeology and the
public. Topics may include: how we define the "public"; the means by
which we have involved and engaged individuals and communities in our
research; how we may have become involved in their research; how
effective our efforts have been in working with the public; and what
impacts working with the public have on our profession and heritage.

You may submit your session proposals by 30 April 2008 on the
conference website:
http://ehlt.flinders.edu.au/conferences/archaeology/index.html

Please note that registration for the conference is currently not
available online. Please check the website in the future for updates
and registration.

Dr Susan Piddock

Department of Archaeology
Flinders University