HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:07:31 -0700
Here's an example on eBay (but no base photo)...of an 'A J Ford & Co.
Grocery' (but the seller fails to include this in the bottle label).
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-GROCERY-PRESERVE-Bottles-A-J-Ford-Curtice-Bros_W0Q
QitemZ6237628496

If the base mark were O R G...it would seem like a Glass (bottle making)
company...but, ending in R... ??  Toulouse speculates it was the bottle
supplier.  This would seem the case...since at least 3 different
companies used bottles with this base marking.

Cheney & Neill, Boston, Mass  (around in 1893 at least; formerly Cheney
& Myrick)
Ropes (is that all there is?)
A J Ford & Co. Grocery, Boston, Mass. (around in 1894 at least)

Perhaps the location of Boston is a Clue. ??

Lee...do you know Where your bottle came from (location of site...or)?

Can you send me photos?

Carol