HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:21:17 -0400
What date is it? Do you have a copy of Overman (he is good on
foundries) and is available as an on-line free down load at:

http://www.archive.org

Overman, Frederick
1851 The moulder's and founder's pocket guide; a treatise on moulding
and founding. With an appendix containing receipts for alloys,
bronze, varnishes, and colours for castings, also tables on the
strength and other qualities of cast metals. A. Hart, late Carey &
Hart, Philadelphia.

A better source for the 1860s is John Percy. But that you will have
to get interlibrary loan or buy.

Percy, John
1864 Metallurgy: The Art of Extracting Metals from Their Ores, and
Adapting Them to Various Purposes of Manufacture: Iron and Steel.
John Murray, Albemarle Street, London.
1870 The Metallurgy of Lead, Including Desilverization and
Cupellation. John Murray, Albemarle Street, London.
1984[1864]a Metallurgy: The Art of Extracting Metals from Their Ores,
and Adapting Them to Various Purposes of Manufacture: Properties of
Iron: Iron Ores; Direct Reduction Process. Facsimile of the 1864 John
Murray publication, Vol II-Part 1.The Historical Metallurgy Society
and De Archæologische Pers Nederland, Eindhoven.
1984[1864]b Metallurgy: The Art of Extracting Metals from Their Ores,
and Adapting Them to Various Purposes of Manufacture: Iron: Indirect
Reduction Process. Facsimile of the 1864 John Murray publication, Vol
II-Part 2. The Historical Metallurgy Society and De Archæologische
Pers Nederland, Eindhoven.
1984[1864]c Metallurgy: The Art of Extracting Metals from Their Ores,
and Adapting Them to Various Purposes of Manufacture: Wrought Iron;
Steel. Facsimile of the 1864 John Murray publication, Vol II-Part 3.
The Historical Metallurgy Society and De Archæologische Pers
Nederland, Eindhoven.
2005{1861} Metallurgy: The Art of Extracting Metals from Their Ores,
and Adapting Them to Various Purposes of Manufacture:Fuel; Fire-
Clays; Copper; Zinc; Brass; Etc. Facsimile of the 1861 John Murray
publication. Elibron Classics.

Also look at Robert Gordon's 1976 American Iron.

English Heritage has a free pamphlet on how to do metallurgy sites. A
good place to start.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/upload/pdf/cfa_archaeometallurgy2.pdf

Be happy to help however I can.

James Brothers