HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 00:04:13 -0500
Hi Sarah,

Are you looking for materials to help with identification, typology,
and dating?  Or with directions for interpretive study?

George's articles are excellent.  He and his collaborators have worked
on this material for a long time and those publications are the best
place to start. Following George's teaching, I try not to use the term
pearlware, but because it is so ingrained in the collectors, art
history, and archaeological literature, you have to use it for searches.

You might find a useful visual reference:

John and Griselda Lewis, Pratt Ware: English and Scottish relief
decorated and underglazed coloured earthenware 1780-1840

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/61218099

Terrance Lockett has written a bit about pearlware patterns.  I bet
you've seen his on-line essay for the Potteries Museum about pearlware
where he mentions the "Chinese House pattern" which was most popular
and while somewhat varied, followed a visual pattern of 'tree-fence-
house-fence-tree'. He explains that other patterns include Chinese
figures with parasols which he asserts were patterned after Chinese
porcelain  so-called Cornelius Pronk patterns.

Terrance Lockett and Patricia Halfpenny  1986.  Creamware and
Pearlware. Stoke-on-Trent City Museum and Art Gallery, Stoke-on-Trent,
UK.

The pattern terms from the antiques market can be a bit overwhelming.

You mention that your students have mostly hand painted, stylized
Chinese decoration.  Do you have any of the other painted or dipped
ware styles?  If so, these will be useful:

 From the Maryland Archaeological Conservation Lab, pictures of
printed ware types:

http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/Post-Colonial%20Ceramics/PaintedWares/index-paintedwares.htm

Sussman, Lynne
  1997 Mocha, Banded, Cat’s Eye, and Other Factory-Made Slipware.
Studies in Northeast Historical Archaeology. Number 1. Boston
University, Boston.

Rickard, Jonathan
2006   Mocha and Related Dipped Wares, 1770-193. University Press of
New England, Lebanon, NH.

Carpentier, Donald and Jonathan Rickard
   2001   Slip Decoration in the Age of Industrialization. In Ceramics
in America 2001.  Edited by Robert Hunter.
  Chipstone Foundation, Milwaukee, pp. 115-134.

On a broader and more interpretive note, I’d point your students in a
couple of different directions depending upon their interest and the
nature of the site- visual culture, orientalism, and design history,
for example.  Maybe whiteness studies.

As another source, they could check out:

Priddy, Sumpter
   2004  American Fancy; Exuberance in the Arts, 1790-1840. Chipstone
Foundation, Milwaukee.

If you explain more about the site, I might be able to suggest some
other interpretive sources.

Cheers,
Tim