HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:42:42 -0600
April,

As I remember, probably a decade ago, Archaeologist working on an Antebellum
riverfront hotel called the St. James in Selma Alabama found a stash of pig
jaws (bottom jaws only) in the  courtyard of this hotel.  At the time, I
wondered if these were cached to be used later as musical instruments  -
large animal jaws being, I believe, the precursor of the washboard.  A
player would run an object like a key across the tooth line to create
rhythmic sounds.

Or is there another reason for stockpiling just a bunch of lower pig jaws?
(If others on the list can suggest other possible reasons for doing this,
please speak up,  because it has nagged at me for over a decade now).

I don't know if the archaeologist in charge interpreted these as potential
musical instruments or not, but I think her crew also found jaw harps as
well.  You can contact  her,  Mary Elizabeth Gantt, now at R.S. WEBB &
ASSOCIATES, INC., and ask however.  (her email is available on their web
page.)

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba