HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:11:36 EST
Hi Janice

I've worked on both rural and urban OC sites.  The small, rural sites  have
mostly fragmented pieces of brownware; whole items are rare.

Excavations in the Chinese community at Folsom, CA yielded quite a few
whole or nearly whole items.  We had 14 complete spouted jars from a large
features associated with an association hall that served as a gathering place,
boarding house and had a restaurant for members.  On the entire site we
recovered 4 complete globular jars (and two half complete), a few  shouldered
jars, a few jugs and over 2 dozen spouted jars.  Note that  many of the
whole items were in features created as part of clean up efforts  following a
large fire that wiped out three city blocks, or were tossed into  cellars and
pits as part of fire clean up and rebuilding efforts.

Mary L.  Maniery
PAR Environmental Services, Inc.
PO Box 160756
Sacramento, CA  95816