HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:44:26 EST
Janice -  I have analyzed a collection of 2,949  brown stoneware vessels,
whole or complete enough for identication.  There were 928 wine jars, 399
spouted soy jars,  370 food vessels, 212 large shipping jars plus 298 of their
lids, 200 small straight-sided jars with 157 of their lids, 112 small
hemispherical jars and 110 of their lids, plus 165 other forms. The collection was
recovered from the Los Angeles Chinatown.

 These and the rest of the collection have been published in Down by the
Station, University of California, Los Angeles, 1996.  Do you have specific
questions I might answer ?  Even though the bases are not marked, watch out
for slip markings on the vessel walls which may denote maker, place of
manufacture, or contents.

Roberta Greenwood, RPA