HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carmen Bradbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:54:30 -0700
This rock was found recently near Priest Lake, Idaho.
I was wondering if anyone has seen something similar or could identify the
characters.  The carvings are raised, not engraved.  The rock is hard and fine
grained.  I do not know how the carvings were done.   I wet the rock with
water to make the characters stand out more for the photos.  When dry, the
rock is a light gray  I am interested in it's meaning and purpose.  Could it be a
grave marker?  It looks as if the rock was bigger at one time but was broken
apart long ago based on the smoothness and wear.  I have been told that
many years ago, Asian laborers were brought into the United States from
Canada on a trail through this area, perhaps it was carved during that time?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you, Carmen.

View the photos at:

http://www5.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=383329026/a=512041026_
512041026/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/