HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:50:08 -0600
Hi all,

I have two suggestions.

1. I have seen tin cans cut in a similar way scattered over mining
towns. Not all of those were cut in order to make lamps or anything.
Many seemed to have been punched in rhythmic patterns out of boredom.
Perhaps these were made into a windchime?

2. Have you considered that these were made into 'tinklers'?  Native
people in the western USA made little metal tips for fringe on fancy
outfits. As a dancer swayed, the fringe made a very satisfying tinkle
or clicking noise. Perhaps these are meant to be attached to clothing?

Beat,
Tim

Sent from my iPhone