HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 14:44:17 -0500
This may sound off the target, but you might want to check out a museum in
Columbus, GA.  The name of the museum is something like the Civil War Naval
Museum or the Confederate Naval Museum.  Although the focus is on the Civil
War and naval vessels, I believe Bruce Smith, the Director, and his staff
are knowledgable about 19th century vessels in general, especially as
related to the Chattahoochee River, which borders on Alabama.  They may
also have reference books of possible use to you.   A second possibility
would be to contact the West Georgia Underwater Archaeological Society, a
Chapter of the Society of Georgia Archaeology.  This group has done
extensive work on shipwrecks in the Chatahoochee River and may have
expertise on paddlewheel steering.
Allen

steamboat sunk in an Alabama river. I have been very fortunate in gathering
a good amount of material concerning the construction and engineering of
this type of vessel; however, I could use some input on the unique steering
system that was installed on these steamboats. Any ideas or references
would be appreciated.