HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karen Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:58:23 +1000
Posted on behalf of Michael Westaway

---------------------

Dear members of the list

I am eager to find out where there are very good examples of reference collections for histarch materials. We have been chatting about the possibility of establishing such a reference collection at the Queensland Museum. Initially it would be quite small scale, but it is my hope that it could build up into a resource that could be used by students and consultants to assist with research and consultancies. We are also keen to give it a life in school based education programs, and the Strategic Learning Section at the QM are developing a web based archaeological resource designed to promote a clearer understanding of archaeological collections and the importance of context, so we are trying to get a few things moving in that direction.

I visited Colonial Williamsburg some years ago and saw the collections very briefly but wondered if people were aware of other reference collections, internationally or domestically, that may be relevant models for the QM.

If you could contact me directly that would be very much appreciated as I am not a member of the list

Thanks very much

Michael

Michael Westaway
Curator (Archaeology)