HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Liebeknecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:42:42 -0500
Kent,

The buff/cream-colored brick sound like a fire brick, made from refractory
clay.  NB may stand for Nicholson Brothers who were in operation in 1904 in
Dutchess Junction, New York according to Within These Gates by Daniel
deNoyelles 2002.

" I believe that the widespread use of proprietary marks on bricks didn't
begin until the 1890s"

In the eastern United States stamped or marked bricks were common as early
as 1850 with examples dating as early as 1830 in Allaire, N.J.  ( Charles
Jackson  1987 The Singack and Mead's Basin Brickyards in Wayne Township).

Bill Liebeknecht, MA
Hunter Research, Inc.
Trenton, New Jersey