HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Mary C. Beaudry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 16:53:28 -0500
Best to consult is the following.  Nb: I think that George and Rob would
consider doing chemical analysis of paste & glaze on these wares to be
overkill and largely unnecessary unless what you were investigating was
differences in clay sources and glaze formulae among various
potters/potteries in Stoke-on-Trent.

*George L. Miller and Robert Hunter*
How Creamware Got the Blues: The Origins of China Glaze and Pearlware.
*Ceramics
in America 2001.*

One of the most common earthenwares found on American archaeological sites
dating from the 1780s until the 1830s has a bluish tint to its glaze. It is
generally known by the term "pearlware," a name adopted from Josiah
Wedgwood's Pearl White, which he introduced in 1779. The other Staffordshire
potters, however, called this ware "China glaze" and appear to have begun
producing it as early as 1775. This paper explores what led to the
development of China glaze, and how its name disappeared from general usage
until the mid-twentieth century.

This from an extract at:

http://www.chipstone.org/publications/CIA/2001/MillerHunter/MillHuntIndex.html

--
Mary C. Beaudry, PhD, RPA, FSA
Professor of Archaeology & Anthropology

people.bu.edu/beaudry/Mary_Beaudrys_Research/Welcome.html