HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:04:21 -0900
I feel compelled to reiterate Paul Courtney's comment on the benefit of the
presence of electronic versions of the SHA book reviews on the internet, and
include my own.

I make wide use of free electronic sources of out-of-print or hard to
acquire (sometimes reference-only) books, texts, reports, etc available on
the internet.  I would be at a loss without them, not to mention I would not
be able to produce the same level of research.  In fact, there are many
benefits to electronic versions over paper, including search-ability,
portability, copying and pasting longer quotations, and reproduction of
images (important to keep the quality of historic maps and photos, which
doesn't happen in photocopies of photocopies, etc.)

I applaud any organization willing to put even part of their publications on
the web (especially free to non-members, as the SHA book reviews are).
Increased and more public dissemination of information in electronic format
through the internet is beneficial to better educating others - who might
not have access to the information otherwise, as well as in preservation of
information for the future.

-Robert M Dean