HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:52:10 -0800
Ron...you missed my point.  I didn't state I did any "research" in to
the A.E. tile company...or the use of tiles, on eBay.  I simply use eBay
(or other websites) as a means to ID the bits and pieces we find...when
I only have a couple of letters of a mark (often the ending ones).  It's
a lot quicker than flipping thru a multitude of ref. books to find a
matching image/mark.  I am successful in finding examples on the
internet probably 70-80% of the time (if not more). I have amazed people
in how I can find info that others have not been able to (but Bob Skiles
probably has me beat).

Then, once I have made the ID...I can look in ref books for the history,
etc.  But, many such histories can also be found online...since devoted
collectors have posted such info on their websites, dedicated to a
specific maker...be it ceramic tiles, table wares, or glass bottles.

Bill Hunt's (Nat. Parks) medicine bottle site is an excellent source for
searching on full markings, when one only has 3 letters.  It greatly
narrows down the possibilities.  CA St Parks also has (or had?) sites
with examples of ceramic types (patterns, marks, etc.) from the various
sites they have excavated....making it much quicker (than flipping thru
books) to ID a piece one might have only a small portion of.

Anyone who doesn't use the internet for IDing "mystery" (incomplete)
marks...is a 'troglodyte' - in my opinion.  There is a Lot of helpful
(and reliable) info out there. One can capture images of 'full'
hallmarks, to include in ones report, when their fragment only shows
1/10 of the mark (not very useful to show in a report).  I could go on
and on about the benefits of 'The Age of the Internet'...but
wont...since I assume most HISTARCH folks already know how valuable a
tool it is.

Wasn't there a session on this topic at a SHA conference?  I know
someone sent around a questionnaire, some time ago, asking how we use
the net, etc...

 And, I am not speaking for all the nation