HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Claire Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 08:35:03 -0400
Hi -

I'm working on analysing front yard depositions of a site where the
original house was built in the 1850s, then moved across town prior to
construction of a 2nd, larger house around 1876.  Does anyone have an idea
about how houses would have been moved around that time - i.e., taken
apart piece by piece and reassembled, or moved whole?  We have a layer of
very gravelly fill capping the original surface, and I'm wondering if the
gravel could be related in any way to the house moving.  Not that we don't
often find gravelly fill.

Thanks!

Claire Horn
Public Archaeology Facility