HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:27:32 EDT
Ah, but Jack, not all movies are based on hard cover books! Just look at  The
Phantom, Spiderman I-III, Superman, Fantastic Four, Judge Dredd, Planet of
the Apes, Darkman, The Brothers Grimm, Batman, Lara Croft Tomb Raider, and most
 recently, Stardust, and yet to be released, The Golden Compass. The
Hollywood  movie industry has canvassed the comic book industry for the past 15-years
and  all these titles came from comic book themes. My personal favorite is
Stardust,  which just came out a few weeks back.

But here is the key, the studios created the software to force writers to
format the stories in their script form so they can be adapted to movies. You
see, Jack, you were blithely thinking that I had gone bonkers and was just
promoting some sort of off the shelf writing software. But that is not  the case,
I invested several hours talking to the good folks from Paramount and  why
they created the writing software. Out of 120,000 people that passed through
the Comic Convention a few weeks ago, at least 2,000 were creative writers
pushing storylines for new comics and the studios were netting those guys and
gals for their own purposes. So while your associate script writer was wooing
you in the coffee shop and her dud for a boss was sipping martinis in the
Caribbean, a whole raft of creative writers were pressing their hot topics into
movie scripts. In point of fact, Neil Gaiman and artist Charles  Vess adapted
out their four issue comic book called Stardust into a  script and, voila, it
became a movie. Those Vess prints and pen & ink  originals that hang in my house
will become infinitely more valuable. But back  to my point, Jack--- Jack,
now you can write your own scripts.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.