HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Dent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:57:26 -0700
on 8/15/07 6:25 AM, Kimberly Smith at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hello,
> Can anyone help me find publications/reports concerning the archaeology
> conducted at foundries.  I'm currently working on a foundry in Savannah and am
> interested in reading about what others have done and their research designs.
> I know of several reported in the Industrial Archaeology Newsletter, but am
> sure there are others.  Thank you for your help.
>
> Kim Smith

> See what youčre getting intoŠbefore you go there
> http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_preview_0507
Kim -  There were significant investigations done by the old Southside firm
(somehow I believe aligned with College of William and Mary in 1970s) at
Matildaville (sp.?) In Virginia.  It was an industrial village in early 19th
century associated with nearby Patowmack Canal.  I know Southside excavated
the shed that housed a trip-hammer and some other nearby associated
structures.  Settlement is now within Great Falls National Park (NPS) so
that unit would be a starting point in a search for the reports.

The America's Industrial Heritage Project (also NPS) in Pennsylvania may
also have done work on foundries in Johnstown area and beyond.  They must
still exist in one bureaucratic form or another.

Joe Dent
American University