HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 10:14:17 -0700
Back in the 90s, I worked on a site in "the back country" of  San Diego
Co.  There were remnants of what we recorded (& took photos) as granary
bases on the bedrock outcrop.  These rock alignments would have been
circular originally, to set the large woven basket on (to hold
acorns)...but had scattered just a bit...over time.  The cobbles were
definitely Not naturally placed on top of a high boulder (it wasn't at
ground level, so they couldn't have washed on to the surface thru
erosion).

When we returned to the site on Mon. (to continue excavations)...the
rocks had been moved...to form the letters "HI"  !!!!
So...we never know at what time period someone might 'align'
rocks...etc.