HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
JAMES MURPHY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:36:42 -0400
Iain Stuart writes, a propos of a public librar branch doing away with Dewey classification and putting in a coffee bar:

> This has created a predictable fuss but has implications for
> historical archaeology in terms of how easy or difficult it will
> make research if
> widely adopted.

Only if you conduct your research in a public library.  And for historical archaeology, would you be looking in the History section or the Archaeology section-- because you're not likely to find a section on HA.

Jessamyn West, quoted in the article cited, puts it well: "[library] patrons only know about keyword searching, when catalogs provide several other ways of looking up entries. "There are other ways of slicing information that aren't the way Google decided to slice it... It's the difference between scholarship and 'I just wanna kinda know about something.'"

Jim Murphy