HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Janice Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:52:11 -0700
This really has opened a can of worms.  I believe the debate as to what
department archaeology should be based in is redundant and while
interesting, is not particularly constructive.  In New Zealand our two
universities both have archaeology based in Anthropology. It is different in
Australia.  Really, whatever department is prepared to adequately fund the
archaeologist to practice archaeology, using archaeological methods, which
in the case of historical archaeology also means using historical sources,
but most importantly, is prepared to fund archaeological research and
excavation and provide access to equipment, technology and further training.
 Essentially an archaeologist should be able to practice archaeology
wherever they are based.

Janice Adamson
PhD Candidate University of Auckland
103 Connell Street