HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2007 15:12:11 -0400

In a message dated 7/6/2007 3:54:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

A friend  (in Indiana) has a flat, "half-pint" whiskey flask, with a
"quilted"  diamond pattern repeated all across the front and the back. He
surmises  this type of flask was most popular in the 1890s-1910 era.
That same time  period would fit our collection also.

Carol,

The Fort Guijarros Museum Foundation field crew recovered quilted flask or
decanter bottle sherds in the beach sand associated with the 1890-1930 debris
of  the U.S. Light House at Ballast Point (CA-SDI-12,953). There is a very
distinct  sterile yellow sand the lighthouse keepers used to cover the area in
1930. I  never saw a maker's mark. There were more than one vessel, as some
exhibited  amethyst tints and others that straw yellow tint and some were
colorless. I hope  this helps.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.