HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 12:26:45 -0400
The United States Army, Fort Rosecrans component (1916-1922) of
CA-SDI-12,000 in San Diego, California yielded quite a few large carbon rods  that were
associated with small and large search lights, early automotive  batteries, and
smaller lighting devices. The largest measured close to 20  centimeters long.
We have photos of very large search lights used to illuminate  target ships
off shore, which I have assumed were the source for the large  carbon rods.
These were slightly smaller than the World War II aerial search  lights used to
hunt for Axis Power (Japanese or German) aircraft. Although there  were no
confirmed sightings, a report indicates the Army and Navy scrambled for  sixty-five
off shore reports of Axis submarines between 1942 and  1945.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.