HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:22:55 +0000
Hi Mike,

For my research, I really wanted to calculate the proportion of building
frontages which were glazed (to test the oft-mentioned proposition that
"Dutch" buildings have "big" windows).

This is very easy to calculate from architectural drawings or rectified
photography, but as you note, photographers in the past - and today -
are not taking photographs for us to calculate from!  So they are fouled
up (from our point of view) by perspective.

The only reference I came across which was at all relevant was Crankshaw
Ned     1990    'CARPA: Computer Aided Reverse Perspective Analysis.'
APT Bulletin: The Journal of Preservation Technology    XXII, no. 1&2
However, this does not _quite_ do what I wanted.

So I found a friend who happens to be a Cambridge mathematician, and he
and his friends (and, I suspect, some beer) had a look at the problem,
and they could not find a solution (this doesn't mean there isn't one,
of course).

I also tried to solve this practically, by taking an oblique photograph
of a building for which I had a measured drawing.  I then 'stretched'
the photograph so that lines were brought back to horizontals, but found
that without knowing the height of the point of view (along with the
broad dimensions of the building), it was not possible to do this
accurately.

With best wishes to all,

Pat

In message <[log in to unmask]>, HISTARCH
automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> writes

--
Pat Reynolds