HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Neal Hitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 07:59:47 -0500
There is an excellent book that I am sure you have seen: Salt: A World History  by Mark Kurlansky
The Turks and Caisos Islands, a Britsh crown colony was , I believe, the largest producer of salt in the world during the late 19th century. The salt works there, on Salt Cay, are still intact and are now a World Heritage Site. The National Museum of Turks and Caicos measured one of the extant wooden wildmills used to pump brine and built a small scale model.
This is the web site for the National Musuem.  http://www.tcmuseum.org/

Neal Hitch
Facilities Management
Ohio Historical Society

Our Musuems:  "I know of a lot of people who went in stupid and came out smart." Steven, Unioto Elementary School