HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 20:07:04 -0400
For safety reasons, contractors gutting a 1904 U.S. Army barracks for an
adaptive reuse project (U.S. Army, Fort Rosecrans) worked without monitors
present. They were instructed to bring out any historical artifacts found during
construction. When a bundle of 1905-vintage letters were brought out, not a
single one of the envelopes had the stamps present. I found one loose stamp on
the second floor staircase, so they did not get all the loot. We should have
worn gas masks and watched their every step.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.