HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tom Langhorne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:01:12 -0400
         In terms of widespread use, you may want to check into various
logging related publications as they relate to scaling of logs and the
projected output of finished lumber.  There should be a point where the
full, dimension, rough cut begins to be planed on all 4 faces, eventually
giving rise to the current dimensions on mass produced lumber.  I think the
title of one of these publications is the American Lumberman's Gazette, but
I'm not sure.   It was published in Chicago in the early 20th century.

         Tom

At 07:31 AM 8/25/2006 -0600, you wrote:
>Up until 2000, full dimension lumber was a hot sales item at a small sawmill
>at LaSal, UT.  It is still available from a sawmill in Cortez, CO.  A
>friendıs new barn is built with full dimension lumber, as well.  I have
>found full dimension lumber at numerous archaeological sites in Idaho and
>Utah, said sites dating from the late 1890s through the 1950s.
>
>Lee A. Bennett, RPA
>Bennett Management Services, LLC
>PO Box 656
>Monticello, UT 84535
>435-587-2556 phone & fax

W. Thomas Langhorne, Jr., Ph.D.                         [log in to unmask]
Pre-Health Professions Advisor                  (phone) 607-777-6305
Adjunct Assistant Professor-Anthropology                (fax) 607-777-2721
Binghamton University
P.O. Box 6000
Binghamton, NY   13902-6000
http://prehealth.binghamton.edu/

This message and any attachments may contain information that is protected
by law as privileged and confidential, and is transmitted for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying or retention of
this e-mail or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the
sender by e-mail, and permanently delete this e-mail.