HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dr Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:52:40 +1000
Many thanks to those who posted, pm or even rang me about this, it was great
to get so much advice.

There were three broad solutions to the problem:

Photocopying

Drawing Programs

GIS and other programs.

The photocopy method relies on and accurate photocopier and working out the
scale ratio between a base plan and a historical plan and then reducing or
enlarging to fit. Transparent sheets and light boxes can be used to align
the maps. This is an effective solution if you have a good photocopier and
access to plenty of paper (and you can work out scale ratios).  I used it a
lot when I was at HLA with drastic effects on the stationary budget no
doubt. However I did observe that while I could get one axis to fit the
other was inevitably out. I am not sure why this occurred (could be operator
error).

The drawing program approach relies on having a graphics program such as
Coral Draw or Photoshop Illustrator and overlaying layers. This seems to be
what most consultants use and what I'll try given that Arch View is out of
my budget. However as Penny Crook noted there are limitations to this
approach and it lacks the flexibility that a GIS has.

With GIS rubbersheeting is more accurate in overlaying and flexible (e.g.
you could draw an accurate buffer zone around a site). Most responses
mentioned Arch View although two mentioned MapInfo and one mentioned Grass.
The problem is the high initial cost of a commercial GIS. Grass is free (or
low cost, what's more I did dome training on it at the Uni of Sydney).
Kevin Jones suggested Aerial or Air Photo, Greg Jackman mentioned Global
mapper which look worthy of exploring too.

I think all this advice has been a great help.

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North