HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:57:16 -0700
Um, what about the transition from only cork, to a foil liner over the
cork...Before the plastic liner came about?

Mark Woodard, of the Crown Cap Museum
(http://www.geocities.com/crowncapmuseum/) told me the foil liner was
added in the 1940s.  Anyone have a more definite date?  His date for the
replacement of foil by plastic was mid-1960s...probably based on his
empirical evidence...?

I had contacted him (2 yrs ago) when we found a small, burned pit of
trash (ca. 1940s-early 50s)...with lots of crown caps (but NO bottles,
since they had been recycled!)...and I noticed some of the caps only had
cork liners, while others had foil over the cork...so, of course, I
wanted to know when this change happened (or had the foil simply fallen
off the bare cork ones?).

I'm never surprised by what people collect...and post online.  :o)