HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:22:00 +0000
abend, jan!

"Jan Selmer" <[log in to unmask]> schrieb:
> Geoff Carver wrote:
>
> > some of the german archaeologists i was working with had never
> > heard of silt ("Schluff")

actually maybe i should have said "technicians/techniker" although they were my bosses, and i was technically the "scientist/wissenschaftler" although only having an MA at the time meant i wasn't really considered to be an archaeologist...
this was about 10 years ago with a small firma in brandenburg

>  "Bodenkundliche Kartieranleitung"

good book

> so the differences in documentation don't seem very important to
> me.

for the most part they shouldn't be -
but there are occasions when soil texture (bodenart) is not the same as colour; with paper there doesn't seem to be any easy way to draw both on one sheet (except transparent overlays or something)
colour is also largely a reflection of iron (post-depositional groundwater?) or organic content (oxidisation of the upper layers), not necessarily anything important archaeologically
then if you add harris interfaces into your profiles, drawings can start to be fairly difficult to read
i don't like german-style coloured drawings primarily because i can't do them very well; but i also find they are often too dark to read, require too much time to do well, duplicate work you should have done already if you did good photos, etc.
i don't like the kind of hatching (Schraffur) wheeler did because it sometimes makes it difficult to figure out what is hatching and what are the important lines
i'm also trying to figure out bersu's drawings, which had no lines but lots of formless representations of varying degrees of darkness... unfortunately i haven't had a chance to search the archives in frankfurt