From:
Danielle Woerner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:33:00 -0400
I have a different take on Bach -- I liked him very much as a young
musician, and in my early twenties discovered the mood-altering power
of Bach: that playing one or another of the Brandenburg concerti, in
particular, could raise my spirits and restore me to a sense of emotional
balance when I was particularly unhappy or depressed.  The joy I heard in
them, along with the evenness of his mathematically influenced structures,
had a profound lightening effect on my spirits at those times.  Now I
listen to Bach less often than I did as a young musician; I include more
contemporary music in my listening, and among Bach compositions now am
most often moved by, for example, the solo cello suites.

Danielle Woerner