From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:08:59 PST
Bernard Hill wrote:

>Personally I wouldn't fill CDs so much, but make (eg the VW cycle)
>one symphony per disc(at reduced rate of course!).

I hope that doesn't happen.  My view is that the Cds be "stuffed" with as
much music as possible - keep those silent intervals between movements and
between works as short as possible.  I can put the cd player on "pause"
if I want to wait a bit.  Let's take advantage of the technology at our
disposal.

Also, don't forget that the fewer minutes of music on a cd, the higher the
per minute cost.  Yes, this would also apply to those cd "singles" and any
other type of "reduced time" cd.  It's simple economics.

Overall, I think it's great to have more symphonies on one cd.  Why have
a VW 9th alone when another of his symphonies will fit on one disc.  This
coupling business in terms of compatability or some other consideration is
not significant to me.

Bernard also mentioned efficient packaging.  The fact remains that the
least room is needed for cd storage when the packaging is 100% efficient
AND each cd has the maximum amount of music.

Don Satz