From:
Jeff Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:19:59 -0800
For those wondering whether the film "The Red Violin" is any good, and why
it hasn't been shown in the U.S:

When I covered the Winnipeg music festival, I rushed off to see it
with a Boosey & Hawkes rep and a NY free-lance critic.  I was told that
Sony Pictures had held up the U.S.  release because they were afraid their
"Hillary & Jackie" movie had already "saturated" what they judged was the
pathetically small art-film-art-music U.S.  market.  They wanted the hunger
to rise up again for a while after "Hillary" left.  So, one of these days
...!

As for the film, as Richard Todd says, beautifully filmed and scored.
Interesting story, though rather stereotypic.  Fairly well acted.  NOT
profound.  Neverthess worth it for the cinematography and the music.
Corigliano's concerto expanded from the movie is even better.

Jeff Dunn