From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:41:55 -0500
Peter Harzem wrote:

>There is, isn't there, a fundamental difference between making love
>and copulating? I think Bolero is closer to the latter.  But the Faune?
>--surely to erotic love.  The difference between the two is so very great.

Yes, indeed.  The erotic potential of heteronomous music is greater than
that of absolute music.  Combine music with dance, or even with dance
copulated with song, and you have a vehicle that can give you,say, the
Dance of the Seven Veils in Salome.  In the Bolero that part of it is left
to the theater of the mind, a most problematical site.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]