From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:48:04 -0500
Chris Bonds wrote of Shaw's Verdi's Requiem:

>I own it.  It's competent, but I am still looking for the perfect requiem
>(and the perfect piece of carrot cake).  The trumpets are out of tune in
>the Tuba Mirum, but I haven't heard a recording yet where they are in tune.
>If someone has their perfect version, let me know!

Actually, I'm very fond of it, though I agree it's not perfect.  It was
my favourite version until the Gardiner came along two or three years ago.
I guess I like the two equally now, though there are places where I prefer
one or the other.  The Hostia is more moving in the Shaw, or at least so it
seems to me.

Richard.