HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:20:07 -0400
From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
 Hi Mark, I'd like one too please. Carl

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Branstner <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:21 pm
Subject: Lead Ball Conversion Table

Hey Guys,?
?

Although I'd be very surprised to learn that I was the first person
to do this, here goes:?
?

Given the frequency of finding round lead ball and shot on historic
sites, and the fact that it has often been distorted in use, making
it difficult to accurately measure, I came up with an Excel table
that allows you to simply weigh the large shot or ball, and determine
gauge and/or caliber.  Of course, this assumes the shot or ball was
originally round and is still essentially whole ...?
?

I created the conversion table to range from 1-200 Gauge or 1.671 -
0.28 caliber, which should cover most anything firearms-related (and
even small cannon :-) ).  I realize  that there were 2 and 4  gauge
market shotguns out there, but it would be unlikely for them to be
shooting solid full-bore projectiles.  By the same token, anything
smaller than .28 caliber would almost certainly fall into the
buckshot or shotgun pellet range, where caliber measurement would be
largely unnecessary.?
?

Note that I have cross-referenced GAUGE, CALIBER, GRAIN WGT, GRAM
WEIGHT, and ROUNDED GRAM WEIGHT and ROUNDED CALIBER.   This should
cross-correlate with historic sources, as well as modern literature,
and lab data.?
?

I have not added information about standard sizes of buckshot,
shotgun pellets, etc., as that data is pretty readily available on
the web (Wikipedia).?
?

If anybody wants a copy, please send me an e-mail and I will forward.?
?

Mark?
?

P.S.  Again, if somebody has already done this in a easily accessible
format, just ignore.?
?

-- ?

Mark C. Branstner, RPA?

Historic Archaeologist?
?

Illinois Transportation?

Archaeological Research Program?

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign?

209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571?

23 East Stadium Drive?

Champaign, IL 61820?
?

Phone: 217.244.0892?

Fax: 217.244.7458?

Cell: 517.927.4556?

?

"I hope there's pudding" - Luna Lovegood (HP5)?