HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2007 22:13:46 -0700
From:
Roderick Sprague <[log in to unmask]>
HISTARCH

My memory from some publication years ago is the same as Ron
May's.  It had something to do with the taxation of wine from Spain,
the jill being a unit of liquid measure at that time.  Like many
English nursery rhymes, it was directed at the monarchy., perhaps in
this case John (Jack).

Did anyone mention the myth that the telegraph companies in Australia
left broken glass around the base of poles to protect their
insulators from alternative use?

Rick