From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 08:36:47 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>3. Why doesn't USDA import semen and eggs directly from Italy?

The USDA already spent millions importing bees from Russia, and from the
former Yugoslavia before that. The Russians are probably the best bet at
this point

> Research has shown that mite-tolerant stocks are effective means to reduce
mite infestations within colonies, but it is unclear whether the stocks
available commercially are viable means of mite control because they are
likely to be genetic hybrids. We compared colonies of a standard commercial
stock (Italian) with those of a commercially purchased mite-tolerant stock
(Russian) for their levels of varroa and “tracheal” mites (A. woodi) over
the course of 2 yr in three different geographic locations.

> By the end of the first year, we found statistically significant
differences between the stocks in varroa mite intensity (mites per adult
bee), such that Russian-hybrid colonies tended to have a significantly lower
proportion of parasitized adult bees than Italian colonies. In the second
year, we found statistically significant differences between the stocks in
varroa mite load (daily mite drop), such that Russian-hybrid colonies tended
to have lower total numbers of mites than Italian colonies. These findings
suggest that beekeepers may benefit by incorporating commercially purchased
mite-tolerant stocks into their existing integrated pest management programs.

DAVID R. TARPY "Comparison of Parasitic Mites in Russian-Hybrid and Italian
Honey Bee Colonies" 2007. JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC ENTOMOLOGY. 100(2): 258-266