From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 12:21:44 -0700
Roger Hecht responds to Steve Schwartz:

>>Despite his deep understanding of the piano and of the orchestra,
>>Ravel never considered himself either a pianist or a conductor. In
>>the wings for a performance as soloist in his G-major concerto, he
>>supposedly remarked to the conductor, "What a pity. Now it will all be
>>ruined."
>
>Interesting.  If I recall correctly, he planned to play the premiere
>himself.  He had to be talked out of it in favor of Margeurite Long.
>He conducted instead.  (I think that's right.)

The two posts above reminded me of a bit of lost history.  During a visit
to the US, Ravel did conduct the Boston Symphony Orchestra...and the
concert was broadcast!

1/14/1928 Conductor: Maurice Ravel (Symphony Hall)
Lisa Roma (soprano)
Ravel: Le Tombeau de Couperin
Debussy orch Ravel: Sarabande and Dance
Ravel: Rapsodie Espagnole
Ravel: Sheherazade   (Roma)
Ravel: La Valse

Sadly, no copy of the broadcast is known to survive.

Karl