ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Orselli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:51:13 -0400

While it is certainly gratifying that there are wonderful science
programs happening in some magnet schools, the "state of science
education" is not quite as rosy as the NY Times article might indicate.

An October 24, 2007 Wall Street Journal editorial on the subject
cites a lengthy study by the Pacific Research Institute of California
schools, showing that that state's performance in science and math is
declining, even in some of the richest or "best" public school
districts.

Similar studies are regularly cited by the NSTA as well.

A simple, yet non-flashy, and often non-computer driven, solution to
increasing students' enthusiasm and understanding of science subjects
(even if it is "old school") is to provide opportunities for well-
trained, enthusiastic teachers the time in each school day to present
"real" science experiences rather than canned experiments and
worksheets.

Unfortunately, given the strictures of "No Child Left Untested" or
the minimal science requirements embedded in teacher certification
standards (speaking as someone certified to teach science in several
states) this is unlikely to happen anytime soon.  However, this is a
service that institutions, like museums, as well as individuals, like
scientists and science educators, can legitimately provide.

So while I rightly worry about , if not actually wring my hands
over,  the "state of science education", I happily volunteer to
provide and present additional science experiences for my local
school district.

On Oct 30, 2007, at Tuesday, Oct 30     6:53 AM, Eric Siegel wrote:

> In today's NY Times in an article about inquiry based hands on
> science learning going on in some gifted and talented programs, the
> following quotation:
>
> Many people wring their hands over the state of science education
> and point to the appalling performance of America’s students in
> international science and math competitions. Yet some of the direst
> noises about our nation’s scientific prospects may be premature.
> Far from rejecting challenging science courses, students seem to be
> embracing them.

Paul Orselli, President and Chief Instigator

Paul Orselli Workshop (POW!)
1684 Victoria Street
Baldwin, NY  11510

<http://www.orselli.net>