ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy Ali <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:08:30 -1000

Hi Deb,
I've been using online journal databases for a few years, primarily EBSCO's Academic Search Premier but also Wilson Omnifile and others.  I've used these services mainly for my graduate studies, but on occasion I've also searched them for articles relevant to my professional work.

I've often wondered why more museum professionals don't use them for research and grant writing purposes, but I suspect this is because they are a relatively new technology, largely unfamiliar to people who haven't been in university during the last 5-10 years.   If you are going to spend the money to subscribe, I would *strongly* recommend that you offer training sessions for staff to learn how and why to use them.

Just for fun, I searched "informal science" on EBSCO's Academic Search Premier to see what would pop up.  The first three results are as follows:

Academic and informal science education practitioner views about professional development in science education. By: Astor-Jack, Tamsin; McCallie, Ellen; Balcerzak, Phyllis. Science Education, Jul2007, Vol. 91 Issue 4, p604-628, 25p; (AN 25367317)

Museums Teach Evolution. By: Diamond, Judy; Evans, E. Margaret. Evolution, Jun2007, Vol. 61 Issue 6, p1500-1506, 7p, 1 chart; DOI: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2007.00121.x; (AN 25515892)

Supporting Teachers on Science-focused School Trips: Towards an integrated framework of theory and practice. By: DeWitt, Jennifer; Osborne, Jonathan. International Journal of Science Education, 5/1/2007, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p685-710, 26p, 2 charts, 2 graphs; DOI: 10.1080/09500690600802254; (AN 24602306)

All these articles seem relevant to the science museum education field, but this is a tease since ASP provides none of these articles in full-text.  Still, I think it is worthwhile to know what's out there since you can always track down paper copies through other means if necessary.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Nancy

Nancy Alima Ali