ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:41:58 -0400

Since our exhibitions got mentioned twice (in the daily digest anyhow),
I"d like to provide you with the link to see photos and descriptions of
them all.  I'd be happy to share advice and/or photos on any specific
component, sources, etc. if you'd like.

http://www.sciencenter.org/exhibits/exhibitionsforrent.asp

1.  We do have a new exhibition that does have several components on
Simple machines.  FROM HERE TO THERE is an exhibition on transportation
that we've developed with the Rochester Museum and Science Center.
One exhibit has four different stations where you can lift 15lbs with a
lever, pneumatic device (air lifting bag), hydraulic cylinder, and block
and tackle. A couple of key elements to making that exhibit work well
for visitors, so they "get" what is going on (after the usual several
rounds of prototyping):
--  the weights are actually a tower of three 5-lb weights (from
sporting goods store, for gym equipment) that are the same at each
station so people get what they are lifting.  All the weights are inside
6" dia clear polycarbonate tubing for safety, and are all tethered.
-- each station has a plain set of weights that you can lift for
comparison.

A walled-off space for younger children will also feature a variety of
simple machines they can use to move lightweight "stuff" around.

The exhibition opens in our two museums in the next two weeks, so check
back again in a few weeks after we've finished putting the signs on them
etc. and we can take some photos.

2.  TECH CITY  is our traveling exhibition on engineering, targeting
middle school girls and minorities but everyone enjoys it. Our goal was
to have very diverse engineering activities represented, not just
bridge-building. Among the most popular exhibits are "Dam the Creek"
(often with 1/2 hour dwell time-- seriously) and a Sound Studio,
Earthquake shake table, and more.  There are photos and quicktime video
on our website.

3.  COOL MOVES  (mentioned by Jonah, as possibly having simple machines)
is an exhibition about motion-  swirling water, funky cars, fabric
shapes that blow in the wind, ....

Kathy Krafft (for our Exhibits Team)
Exhibit Projects Director
Sciencenter