ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:54:21 -0400

> We did a small in-house exhibition on bridges and structures a year ago.

> The k'nex were fun and held up fine.  We put out some laminated sheets
> of simple bridge models visitors could build, but not that many
> visitors actually finished one. Our regular members who come often
> were most likely to stay and really get into the building.  You
> certainly want to look around to find the k'nex kits for making
> bridges- they weren't necessarily easy to find.  There's a kit for
> making 5' models of famous types of bridges, (over 2,000 pieces) and
> smaller kits.  And you can buy extras of any parts-- especially the
> flexible rods for making suspension bridges.

The most successful component was the Kapla planks.  All ages enjoyed
them a lot.  Kapla planks are made in France and fairly expensive.  They
now make hardwood planks in the US, and call them Keva planks;  you can
buy them in large quantities.  We had some in recessed bins on tables,
and two area rugs with large plastic tubs full of planks.  You can build
small structures easily, or keep on going up and up.  I"ve seen kids up
a parent's shoulder, making their tower even taller!  If you want to be
inspired, visit the website to see the 50' tall tower make of the planks:

http://www.kevaplanks.com/

The other really popular component was a wooden model of a suspension
bridge built by a volunteer that was maybe 7' long overall.  It has big
plastic chain for the catenary cable, and smaller metal chain hangs from
the catenary to suspend the "deck" sections.  The deck sections (wood
pieces maybe 3" x 4") are connected to each other with bungee cord
through them.  Visitors can secure the metal chains to the deck sections
(choosing different lengths of chain), then  press down and see
everything move around.

Happy to send photos to anyone who is really interested (already did so
for Erich who posted the original query)

Kathy Krafft
Exhibit Projects Director
Sciencenter
Ithaca, NY