HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Melissa Diamanti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:49:03 -0700
Mark,
I had a PA Turnpike job that went through a couple of blue collar neighborhoods around Pittsburgh, mostly early 20th century. We did a sampling strategy to try to select the best yards to dig. Since they were on a sewer system, it was almost all yard deposits, not shaft features. But you might find the sampling approach useful if you are trying to be selective. If you are interested I can find out if the report is in the public record yet or still in the bowels of the system somewhere.
The most interesting finding was that ethnic differences were reflected most in faunal remains (diet) and there was relatively little difference in the usual goods reflecting consumer choices.

Meli Diamanti
Archaeological & Historical Consultants, Inc.