HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:49:03 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (49 lines)
Mark,
I had a PA Turnpike job that went through a couple of blue collar neighborhoods around Pittsburgh, mostly early 20th century. We did a sampling strategy to try to select the best yards to dig. Since they were on a sewer system, it was almost all yard deposits, not shaft features. But you might find the sampling approach useful if you are trying to be selective. If you are interested I can find out if the report is in the public record yet or still in the bowels of the system somewhere.
The most interesting finding was that ethnic differences were reflected most in faunal remains (diet) and there was relatively little difference in the usual goods reflecting consumer choices.

Meli Diamanti
Archaeological & Historical Consultants, Inc.

--- On Tue, 4/20/10, Mark Branstner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Subject: Reference Request
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, April 20, 2010, 11:14 AM

Hi Guys,

We are currently involved in a multi-year mitigation effort in East St. Louis, Illinois, just across the river from St. Louis, Missouri. Although most of the recovery effort is aimed a Cahokia-related Mississippian sites, we are in the midst of recovering several hundred privy and trash features related to working class occupation of the area surrounding the old East St. Louis Stockyard complex. Although there is some late nineteenth century material (ca. 1880-1900), an awful lof of the recoveries appear to relate to the early twentieth century (ca. 1900-1930).

I am very interested in learning of any comparables in the published or gray literature ... i.e., large-scale recoveries of urban working class deposits, with particular interest in the ca. 1880-1930 period. Any documents covering research designs, research questions, and/or results would be of major interest.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

-- 
Mark C. Branstner, RPA
Historic Archaeologist

Illinois State Archaeological Survey
Institute of Natural Resource Sustainability
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571
23 East Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892
Fax: 217.244.7458
Cell: 517.927.4556
[log in to unmask]

"There's absolutely nothing wrong with Marxism, so long as you stop at "A Day At The Races." If you keep on with "At the Circus," etc., suddenly, Marxism doesn't seem all that interesting and you start to look for something a bit more competent, like Chaplinism or Stoogeism"  - Anonymous

"I hope there's pudding" - Luna Lovegood (HP5)

ATOM RSS1 RSS2