HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:46:22 -0500
Our field crew photo'd a metal (brass?) snap button (like from a leather
jacket) while surveying (at a homestead site in San Diego back
country)...that is stamped  P. F. & CIE....with a CFC mark on the back
side (of the 'under' part of the snap).  I know that the CIE is the
French abbreviation for compagnie (company)...but, can't find anything
online for these initials except in reference to old trade cards for a
rum company....yet I didn't see the same initials on the cards. ??

A few yrs ago, we found 2 similar snap buttons at a local dump site
(dating to pre-1918)...and I couldn't ID the CFC monogram then either.
One had a Royal Arms motif on the domed top though, instead of this P.F.
marking.  The other was blank on top.

Does anyone know what this company abbreviation is for?

And know the yrs they were in business?

I'll send pix to those who would like to see the button.

From the same site, they photo'd a Homer Laughlin mark for the Hudson
style...with a date code for 1905....so that's all I know for a rough
age of this site.

Thanks for ANY help.

Carol Serr

Lab Goddess (who frustratingly hasn't had any artifacts in her lab for
over a year!!!)

San Diego