HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David W Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2007 00:18:52 -0400
I would guess that it is a rather decorative element from a highly-decorated coffin.  It is probably not from the plain hex coffin you found in this grave, but from the grave fill.  This would make it, most likely, to be from an earlier burial, disturbed by the later burial that contained the hexagonal coffin, or its disturbance could have resulted from other excavations in the grave yard.

D. Babson.