HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"paul.courtney2" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 12:23:47 +0100
A recent Histarch request was on books on Scandinavian pottery. I have
just returned from Sweden where I picked up a copy of the following from
the medieval museum in Stockholm: Ruukkuja ja Ruhtinaita/ Ceramic
vessels and stove tiles from 1400-1700.  Archaeologia medii Aevi
Finlndiae 12. ed K. Majantie 2007.  It has text in one or more Scand
languages and English. It is is a series of articles and a catalogue of
a recent exhibition and includes a CD. Papers include Sweden, Denmark
and northern Germany and Eastern Baltic and covers ceramic stove tiles
and domestic redwares. 38 euros. Details and contact  available via
http://www.aboavetusarsnova.fi/site/index.php/fi/content/view/full/778

After experiencing the freezing June mists of Gottland I now know why
the Vikings migrated- actually I will miss the pickled herring, moose
meatballs and aquavit as well as the stunning folk material culture.

paul courtney
leicester
UK