Carolyn L. White
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:46:32 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (69 lines)
FIELD SCHOOL IN HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY IN HAWAII

The University of Nevada, Reno is offering a field school in historical archaeology
on the slopes of Mauna Kea on Hawai`i. The program will consist of a five-week course
of survey and excavation combined with lectures, laboratory work, and study tours
of the island’s cultural and historical monuments, as well as relevant natural and
ecological sites. 

Fieldwork

Following several seasons of survey on the slopes of Mauna Kea, this summer’s field
season will focus on the site of Laumai`a, a 19th century ranching settlement near
the border of the North Hilo District and Hamakua District at an elevation of 6700
ft.  We will survey the house foundations and identify additional features such 
as privies, fences, corrals, sheds, outbuildings, and landscape modifications. Excavations
will concentrate on the 19th-century house and associated landscape features. The
field school will address research questions focusing on the use of material culture,
domestic space, and landscape in the development of paniolo ranching culture of 
Hawai`i. 

Students will receive intensive training in archaeological excavation and recording
techniques. Survey and excavation strategies, material culture analysis, spatial
analysis of artifacts, GPS, field mapping, stratigraphic drawing, artifact illustration,
and archival research are among the methods and techniques we will cover.

Coursework

ANTH 448: Field School in Archaeology

Credits: 6 Semester Hours

Dates

May 28–June 29, 2007

Faculty

The program is directed by Dr. Carolyn L. White, Assistant Professor, Department
of Anthropology, University of Nevada, Reno. This field school will run jointly 
with the University of Hawai`i, Hilo, field school, directed by Peter R. Mills.

Program cost

Summer 2007 tuition and fees: $3,300.00

Cost includes tuition, laboratory fees, room and board in the field, and transportation
to the site from Hilo. Students are responsible for transportation to Hilo, Hawai`i.

Application deadline is April 10. A deposit of $500.00 will be due on May 1, with
the balance due on May 15. The field school is limited to 10 undergraduate students.

Contact

For additional information or to apply to the field school contact Dr. Carolyn L.
White, Department of Anthropology, MS 096, University of Nevada, Reno, Reno, NV 
89557; phone: 775-682-7688; email: [log in to unmask]; web: http://www.unr.edu/cla/anthro/field.htm.

University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557

ATOM RSS1 RSS2